5 Tips to Stay Safe
June is National Safety Month
Summer is the time of year when more people begin to engage in outdoor activities, which can lead to injuries if they're not careful. This is why it's important for all of us to be aware of staying safe while having fun!
Here are 5 ways you can stay safe this summer:
* Buckle Up! Even if you're driving for short distances, make sure that you and your passengers always wear seatbelts for safety. Make it a habit so it will become second nature for you to buckle up every time.
* Wear Proper Gear. Whether you're going for a relaxing bike ride or an invigorating rollerblading session, always be sure to wear protective gear such as a safety helmet, elbow & knee pads and proper footwear.
* Keep Yourself Hydrated. While having fun in the summer sun, it's easy to forget to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can cause dizziness and fainting, which can make you susceptible to falls and serious injuries. Staying hydrated throughout the day will keep your body cool and help prevent dehydration.
* Stay Limber. Before engaging in any physical activity, be sure to take the time to warm up your muscles by doing a series of slow stretches. Stretch your muscles before each activity to prevent strains and fractures, pulled muscles and soreness.
* Avoid Sunburn. Did you know that approximately 86 percent of melanomas are attributed to exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun? Be sure to use an effective sunscreen and remember to wear sunglasses and a floppy hat for extra protection.
It's easy to stay safe during the summer months by being aware of your actions and taking measures to protect your body at all times. So, go for that relaxing bike ride…and remember to stay safe while having fun!